Thursday, August 9, 2012

Incredible Generals

“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

Chinese food is definitely my guiltiest pleasure. One of the hardest adjustments for me to the gluten-free lifestyle was missing out on chinese takeout. So I learned to make my own generals tsos chicken, and not to toot my own horn, but I think it tastes incredible! The scallions were handpicked from my garden :)

I'm still working on replicating my other chinese food guilty pleasures, so if you have a recipe you think I should try, please send it my way!




Ingredients:

1 1b chicken breast (uncooked and cubed)
2 eggs
1/2 cup cornstarch
6-7 dried chili pods
4 tablespoons rice vinegar
4 tablespoons white wine
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon soy sauce (gluten-free)
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon peanut oil
3 scallions (chopped)

Directions:

Step 1: In a large bowl mix the eggs, cornstarch (except for 2 teaspoons), 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon peanut oil. Add the cubed chicken and toss so each piece is completely covered. Let sit for 10 minutes.

Step 2: In a large pan or wok heat ½ cup peanut oil on medium heat. Lay paper towels near the wok to place the chicken on after frying. Add the covered chicken pieces into the pan and cook until browned (about 3-4 minutes per side). Place the cooked chicken on the paper towels until all pieces have been fried.

Step 3: Drain the excess oil from the pan except for 1-2 tablespoons. Add the chili pods to the oil and cook them for 2 minutes, or until lightly burned. Cook them longer if you like your general tsos extra spicy!

Step 4: Add rice vinegar, white wine, sugar, 1/3 cup soy sauce and 2 teaspoons of corn starch to the pan. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the chicken and continue to cook until all chicken pieces are covered and sauce is caramelized. Toss in the chopped green scallions and serve!

Serves 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment