Monday, August 20, 2012

"Just Like Mom's" Spaghetti


"There's no place like home." - The Wizard of Oz

I think it's a universal truth that everyone believes that their mom makes the best spaghetti in the world. It just so happens that, in my case, it's true! I can't even order spaghetti in restaurants because my mom's has ruined me for any other pasta. I remember when I was a little kid and I would smell the sauce slow cooking all day, and I would sneak pieces of sausage when my parent's weren't looking. When I made this last night, I was tempted to just eat the sauce plain, it's that good! I hope you enjoy it, too. 



Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 package Sweet Italian Sausage
1 green bell pepper
1 package gluten-free spaghetti noodles
1 cup sliced carrots

Sauce:
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons sugar
1 can tomato paste (12 oz)
I jar traditional Prego spaghetti sauce

Meatballs:
1 lb lean hamburger
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
2 eggs
2 slices white gluten-free bread (I used Udis)

Directions:

Step 1: Create your meatballs by combining in a large bowl the hamburger, eggs, basil, garlic powder, onion powder, and bread (toasted and crushed into crumbs).  Roll 1-2 ounces of mixture into a ball to form meatballs.

Step 2: Cut Italian sausage into fourths. Add olive oil to a large pan. Cook on medium heat, covered, the meatballs and Italian sausage for 10 minutes or until done. 

Step 3: To create the sauce mix prego, tomato paste, basil, garlic powder, and sugar in a large pot. Cover and set on low. If the sauce begins to boil, set to simmer. 

Step 4: Chop the green pepper in large slices. Add the carrots, green pepper to the sauce.  Add the contents of the large pan (meatballs, sausage) to the sauce, including excess oil.

Step 5: Set sauce to simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally (the longer it cooks, the tastier it gets! Just be sure not to scorch the sauce) 

Step 6: Cook gluten-free spaghetti noodles according to package instructions. Be careful not to overcook!

Step 7: Ladle sauce onto noodles and enjoy!

Serves 4-6. 

No comments:

Post a Comment