Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Summer Squash Cooked Two Ways: Skinny and Slightly Sinful

"What makes the farmers market such a special place is that you're actually creating community around food." - Bryant Terry



One thing I love about summer is shopping for fresh produce at the local farmer’s market.  I love the atmosphere, the colorful stands, and especially all the people who share similar goals: to support family farming and sustainable agriculture in our local economy.  I also like knowing where my meat comes from—that the animals are treated humanely.  I personally do my best to make my food purchases reflect my ethics, and I highly encourage you to adapt this to your life as well. 

A few things that I bought at the farmers market this week were some summer squash, zucchini, and onions. I made the summer squash two different ways—skinny and sinful. I actually preferred the skinny version.  

 Here are the recipes for both for you to decide for yourself.

Skinny Summer Squash and Oregano


Ingredients:

2 summer squash
1 clove minced garlic
½ yellow onion
1 teaspoon oregano
“I can’t believe its not butter” zero cal spray (or similar)
Dash of salt and pepper

Directions:

Step 1: Cut the summer squash and onion into bite sized pieces. Heat a small pan on medium and add garlic and  5 squirts of zero cal butter spray. Sautee for 2 minutes. 

 Step 2: Add the squash, onion, oregano, salt and pepper to the pan and cook, covered, for 7-10 minutes, flipping occassionally.

Serves 2.  50 calories per serving. 



(farmers market flowers from my hunny)

Slightly Sinful Summer Squash and Zucchini




Ingredients:

2 summer squash
2 zucchini
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
Dash of pepper

Directions:

Step 1: Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. 

Step 2: Cut summer squash and zucchini into bite sized pieces. Lay out on a cookie sheet covered with tin foil.

Step 3: In a small bowl combine olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and salt. Pour mixture on top of squash and zucchini. 

Step 4: Bake for 20 minutes.

Serves 4.  140 calories per serving (if all oil is consumed).

No comments:

Post a Comment