Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Californian Avo-eggo

"I hoped that she had chosen California because she thought that was her true home, the place where she really belonged, where it was always warm and you could dance in the rain, pick grapes right off the vines, and sleep outside at night under the stars." - Jeanette Walls "The Glass Castle" 


Avocados are one of the most popular fruits in California. Yep, they're a fruit. Crazy, huh? And they are everywhere here, which is great for me, because I'm completely in love with avocados!

I love their health benefits (high in potassium, high in protein, and full of amino acids!), and I love how their rich and earthy taste.

I've been finding every excuse to make recipes with avocados, and with only three ingredients (if you don't count pepper!), this is definitely one of the easiest avocado recipes I've made. This is quickly become a breakfast staple for me. Hope you enjoy it, too!



Ingredients:
1 ripe avocado
one ounce of shredded cheese*
2 eggs

Directions:

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350F. Cut your avocado in half, lengthwise. Twist the avocado to avoid breaking the avocado apart while separating the two halves. Remove the seed.

Step 2: Cut the hole left by the pit a little wider. Its up to you how wide and how much egg you want to bake. In my picture, I was able to fit about half the egg white and the yolk. Don't waste the delicious avocado meat that you've removed. Set it aside and make yourself some yummy guac! Or cook it alongside your avocado to eat.



Step 3: Place your avocado halves in an oven safe dish. Crack your egg into a small bowl. Using a spoon, fill the avocado with the yolk first, and then any additional egg white.

Step 4: Bake the avocado for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven, and sprinkle with cheese (and pepper, if desired). Bake for an additional 5-10 minutes, the egg is cooked to your desired taste. serve while hot.

Serves 2.

*I used Trader Joe's "Surprise Cheddar Cheese" which has sharp, parmeseany goodness flavor. I think most cheeses would taste great though, so feel free to experiment!





No comments:

Post a Comment