Thursday, January 23, 2014

Happy and Healthy Fresh Spring Rolls

"Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda



I've always wanted to make fresh spring rolls, but they've always looked so delicate and difficult. But recently I've been wanting to eat more vegan and vegetarian foods, and I've also had a craving for fresh spring rolls for days. I bought some at my local grocery store, but there was one problem--I am not a huge fan of mint. And lately, it seems like every fresh spring roll is just packed with mint! So instead of picking out the mint pieces, I decided to dissected my spring rolls and make them myself with only my favorite ingredients. The result...

Surprisingly easy! My first attempt was a big success (just finished eating my third hahaha). They look way more intimidating than they are to make. So here is my "got it right the first time" spring roll recipe. If you want to make it even easier, skip the peanut sauce and use sweet chili sauce. But trust me, the sauce is worth making!

Ingredients:
4 ounces thin rice noodles, cooked and rinsed
1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro
1/8 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup shredded carrots
5 leaves of lettuce, torn
1/2 teaspoon seasoned rice vinegar
brown rice spring roll wrappers

Directions: 

Step 1: In a large bowl, toss cilantro, green onions, shredded carrots, lettuce and rice vinegar. Toss until thoroughly mixed.

Step 2: Soak your spring roll wrappers according to the directions on the package. When they are flexible and soft, place on a plate. On one side of the wrapper, add 1/2 ounce of the rice noodles, then top with a handful of your fresh mix.

Step 3: Roll ingredients inside the roll wrapper like a delicious, healthy burrito. Let sit for five minutes before eating.

Serves 6-8.

If you've opted to make the sauce, here is the recipe. This is a mild peanut sauce. For more traditional spice, add additional red pepper flakes and cook them longer in the oil.


Peanut Sauce Ingredients:
2 green onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons natural crunchy peanut butter
1 tablespoon organic ketchup
1/2 teaspoon gluten-free Worcestershire sauce

Directions:

Step 1: In a small saucepan or pot, add chopped onions, garlic, peanut oil, and red pepper flakes. Cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes.

Step 2: Turn heat down to low and add peanut butter, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Cool before serving.


No comments:

Post a Comment