Sunday, February 16, 2014

Gluten-Free Chicken Pot Pie

“Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life.” - Mark Twain



Recently I went to a fellow gluten-free friend’s house for dinner and she made a fantastic chicken pot pie. I hadn’t had chicken pot pie in years. I can’t tell you how great it tasted. Better than I remembered it as a kid. Anyway, this recipe is adapted from hers. She actually makes hers dairy-free which I think is amazing, but this one isn’t.

She also introduced me to the wonder that is Pillsbury’s gluten-free crusts. So yummy! I can’t tell that it’s gluten-free, and I’m pretty picky about my crusts. Honestly, when I wasn’t GF, I still rarely ate crusts on pies. But this crust is divine. I’m telling you, you have to try it.

The dough is a little tricky to work with, especially since I didn’t read the instructions first. Since I don’t have wax paper at home, I ended up just kneading and then flattening out the dough on a plastic cutting board. I transferred it into my dish using a spatula, and then connected the crust. This actually worked pretty well for me! I’ll probably keep doing it this way, because I’m lazy and I like the path of least resistance. I just used a fork to smooth out the top at the end, and it turned out…well, see for yourself!



Ingredients:
1 Pillsbury gluten-free dough crust
½ cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon margarine
1/3 cup bob’s red mill gluten-free all purpose flour
1 ¾ cup gluten free chicken broth
½ cup milk
¼ teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon thyme
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (your choice! I used a frozen combination of peas, carrots, corn lima beans, and green beans and it was fabulous)
1 cup cooked shredded chicken
A pinch of pepper

Directions:

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 425F. Prepare the pie crust in the pie plate as stated on the Pillsbury container, or if you’re like me, just kind of mash it into the shape of the container haha.

Step 2: On low/medium heat, melt the margarine in a large frying pan. Add the chopped onions and cook until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Add the gluten free chicken broth, pepper, thyme, and onion powder to the pan and bring to a boil.

Step 3: In a small bowl, mix the milk and the gluten-free flour, stirring well. Slowly pour the milk/flour mixture into the boiling chicken broth mix, stirring frequently. Stir in all the milk/flour and until your mixture is nice and creamy!

Step 4: Add the mixed vegetables and the chicken to the large pan. Lower the heat to simmer and cook for five minutes.

Step 5: Pour your pot pie filling into the crust and cover with additional crust (This is the part where I flattened out the dough and transferred it using a spatula. Works great if you don’t have wax paper!). Transfer your pot pie to the oven and cook uncovered for 40 minutes. (If you made your pot-pie with a decorative crust, make sure you follow the Pillsbury directions to avoid burning it! I chose to not make a crust, again, because I’m lazy and I think it tastes the same!)

Step 6: Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

Serves 5-8.








No comments:

Post a Comment