Wednesday, February 26, 2014

My Anti-Raisin Broccoli Salad

"Raisin cookies that look like chocolate chips cookies are the reason I have trust issues." - Unknown


You know how people say you should never grocery shop hungry? I know that’s usually so you don’t over buy, but my true fear is that I’ll gorge myself on everything I bought the moment I get home. Whenever I’m pretty sure this fear is going to materialize, I buy broccoli salad right before I hit up the check-out line. I picked broccoli salad as my go-to grocery day snack for two reasons: it’s a vegetable hidden by the delicious taste of bacon, and also, bacon.

Fortunately it’s pretty filling (I think it’s mostly the gas produced by the broccoli, but still…) so the rest of my groceries can usually make it to the cupboards unharmed. 

But I do have a complaint about grocery-style broccoli salad, and that is one pesky ingredient. I think you know what I’m talking about. RAISINS. Not only do they taste gross, but I think I'm especially bitter at raisins because those little grapes could have become wine. Such lost potential. 

Lets face it. Raisins are the oompa loompas of the food world. Small, icky, and just plain wrong.
So this is my new and improved version of broccoli salad, heavy on the bacon, failed-wine free, and…


Argh, sorry, forgot what I was going to say. I started thinking about bacon again. Anyway, here is the recipe. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
5-6 cups broccoli florets
¾ cup mayonnaise
1/3 cup white sugar
3 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/3 cup dried cranberries
8 strips of bacon, cooked and crispy
½ red onion, finely sliced

Directions:

Step 1: In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, white sugar, vinegar, and salt. Add bacon, cranberries, and sunflower seeds. 

Step 2: In a larger bowl, toss broccoli florets and onion. Slowly pour the small bowl mixture over the tossed mixture in the larger bowl. Stir until all pieces are equally coated. Enjoy!

Serves 4-8 sides. 

No comments:

Post a Comment