Sunday, February 2, 2014

Perfect Peanut Butter Cookies

"I'm not a vegetarian! I'm a dessertarian!" - Calvin and Hobbes 



There's no denying it, I have a huge sweet-tooth! But one thing I've noticed since I've gone gluten-free (GF) is that there is a huge lack of GF sweets, at least ones that don't taste bitter or have that 'GF texture'--you know the one that I'm talking about. I blame GF flour. There are some great products out there, but I think we have a long way to go in terms of perfecting GF all purpose flour and other baking necessities.

This recipe is super simple (one of the most simple recipes I've posted!), bypasses the flour problem, and tastes great! I made them for a work celebration and many people told me that they liked them better than regular cookies. Feel free to give them a try and let me know what you think!  The quality of these cookies greatly depends on the quality of the peanut butter that you cook with, so I really do insist that you use natural crunchy peanut butter! Otherwise they won't turn out nearly as good. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup natural peanut butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Coarse salt (I used Himalayan pink salt, but you don’t have to get that fancy!)

Directions:

Step 1: Preheat oven to 350F. In a large bowl mix brown sugar, white sugar, and peanut butter. Stir until thoroughly mixed.

Step 2: To the dough add vanilla extract, baking soda, and egg. Stir for at least 2 minutes.

Step 3: Form one inch balls by rolling them in your hands. Press flat gently with a spoon (you can add a design here as well!). Put them on a cookie sheet with tin foil. Bake for 10 minutes, until light brown.

Step 4: Remove cookies from the oven and sprinkle lightly with coarse salt. Cook for an additional 2 minutes, or until done. 


 Makes a dozen cookies.


No comments:

Post a Comment