Thursday, February 6, 2014

Sweet and Spicy Kale

"Imagination is everything." - Albert Einstein 

Sometimes the most creative recipes are born from a single craving. That's how this recipe came to be. I woke up craving, of all things, sweet chili sauce. But I didn't really have anything that went with sweet chili sauce in my cupboards, and I'd just gone grocery shopping and I refused to go buy something just to dip it in sweet chili sauce!

So I sat with my refrigerator, staring and ho-humming, when I had a brilliant idea. See, I love the health benefits of kale, but the bitter taste does turn me off a little. But sweet chili sauce might be the perfect solution to tone it down. Add a little lime, and I came up with a delicious dressing. The feta cheese helps even out the taste to make a great slightly-cooked salad.

You definitely have to have an open mind, and open palate, to try this one, but if you do I don't think you'll be disappointed! I paired it with a lime-marinade chicken breast (recipe forthcoming).

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
Juice of 1 lime
3 teaspoons feta cheese
6 cups of kale
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil

Directions:

Step 1: In a small bowl mix sweet chili sauce and lime juice. Set aside.

Step 2: In a saucepan heat grapeseed oil on low/medium. Add kale and stir continuously, for about 1 minute or until the kale has started to wilt. Quickly remove from heat.

Step 3: Pour sweet chili sauce dressing onto kale and toss. Top with feta cheese and serve. 

Serves 2.

(lime-marinade chicken served with sweet chili kale)

No comments:

Post a Comment